Zumba® with Kathi

Party yourself into shape through the joy of Zumba!

Since Apr 2012
Kathleen MacNaughton

I do my level best to subscribe faithfully to the Zumba formula! Do you know what that means? Well, in a nutshell, it means at least 70% of my class playlist will consist of Latin/International songs, many of them songs written & recorded specifically for Zumba Fitness. The other 30% can vary widely... from country to pop to oldies & more. It also means that I do my best to teach dance rhythms that match the actual song (except warm-ups, where I sometimes preview upcoming steps). So, if I'm doing salsa steps, the song is actually a salsa, etc.

I also mix up my rhythms, exposing you to as many different ones in each class as I can fit in. You won't find me doing all Reggateon or Hip Hop, or even my favorite Cumbia or Bachata rhythms. You get variety in every class I teach, whether it's regular Zumba, Zumba Gold or Zumba Toning/Gold-Toning!

Another aspect of the Zumba formula is that the choreography is fun and easy to learn, with no more than 4 to 6 different steps in the song, wherever possible. And finally, the Zumba formula means that my class offers varying levels of intensity throughout... intermittent pacing. So, while I may push my students hard for a song or two, then I allow recovery time with a slower or easier song or two. Up & down throughout the class... that's what you get with me!

Understanding My Playlists

I'm trying to give you an idea what kind of music you may hear in my various class formats. I do my best to keep the playlists pictured here updated every couple of weeks, but you might find what I do in class is sometimes a little different from what you see here. If you are interested in getting any of this music for your own personal listening pleasure, many of the songs may be available either from Amazon or iTunes. But a fair number of the songs I use are ZIN-only songs and are not available for sale, though you may be able to find another version if you search. Just ask me if you're not sure!

However... please don't ask me to give you a song... I don't share songs... it's not legal to do so, so please don't ask me.

Regular Zumba Class Playlist
Although I am only currently teaching one regular level Zumba Fitness class, I DO sub frequently. I also have a class that is a bit of a combo, including mostly regular Zumba, a little bit of Gold and often some Toning songs. You can see a recent playlist from a class I subbed at, as well as my most recent Idaho Power playlist.
  • Regular class I subbed for
    Regular class I subbed for
  • Basic Zumba Playlist
    Basic Zumba Playlist
Regular class I subbed for
Regular class I subbed for

Zumba Gold Class Playlist

I teach Zumba Gold in different settings, and each class seems to have a different make-up of levels, ages, abilities and preferences. So I mix up my playlist to best suit each class. But here is a playlist for my most recent Friday class. It's Zumba Gold, but I DO push my ladies to shake it a bit more than in some of the classes earlier in the week!

Zumba Gold, Seated, Playlist

I select songs for my seated Zumba Gold classes that will be familiar (hopefully) to an older generation, from their younger years. I mix in many of my favorite Zumba Latin & International songs, as well. Here is my current 30 to 40-minute class playlist that I am using at 2 different assisted living centers. (Most of my students are in their 80s and 90s.)

Zumba Gold-Toning Playlists

I teach a half hour Gold-Toning class, immediately after a 60-minute Gold class. I also teach a mixed Gold/Gold-Toning class. Here are the playlists for each:

  • 30-Minute Gold-Toning Class
    30-Minute Gold-Toning Class
  • Combination Gold & Toning Class
    Combination Gold & Toning Class
30-Minute Gold-Toning Class
30-Minute Gold-Toning Class

What I Am Officially Licensed (I Am ZIN!) to Teach & Share With YOU:

  • Zumba BasicZumba Basic
    License to teach regular Zumba® classes.
  • Zumba ToningZumba Toning
    License to teach body-sculpting techniques using Zumba Toning Sticks to enhance rhythm and build strength.
  • Zumba GoldZumba Gold
    License to teach specially designed Zumba classes for the active older adult or deconditioned participant.
  • Zumba Gold ToningZumba Gold Toning
    License to teach Zumba® Gold-Toning classes.